Missouri’s 2020 tax–free weekend takes place Aug. 7 to 9. It begins at 12:01 a.m. on Friday and runs through midnight on Sunday. During this time, you’ll save the Missouri state sales tax of 4.225%.
By state law, the sales tax holiday begins on the first Friday in August and continues through the following Sunday. Certain back-to-school purchases, such as clothing, school supplies, computers, and other items as defined by the statute, are exempt from sales tax for this time period only.
For 2020, the items eligible for waived taxes include:
- Clothing and shoes: $100 or less per item
- School supplies: $50 or less per item
- Computer software: $350 or less per item
- Personal computers and computer peripheral devices: $1,500 or less per item
- Graphing calculators: $150 or less per item
Getting taxes waived on these purchases is easy for shoppers. It will all be automatic at checkout.
Note that, even within these categories, there are exceptions. For example, the clothing category does not include jewelry, watches, handbags, scarves and other accessories.