Museum Minute presents: This Week in History; (According to Herrman’s Archives)

bates county museum front building save

Happenings in the latter part of February…  1919 Mine Explosion Kills Five

1919 – When the 7am shift at the Atlas Coal mine, 9 miles west of Rich Hill, get to the top of the shaft, the 11pm to 7am shift isn’t there.  They go down in the shaft and find the bodies of the five shift members.  Apparently an errant shot caused a concussion that killed them.  Known as a ‘windy shot’ it caused a keg of black powder to explode. Dead are Tom Watson of Rich Hill, Fred Schultz of Rich Hill, Frank Rody, George Cartwright, and Willie Breen all of New Home.

Funeral Procession for coal miners (from Rich Hill West to Green Lawn Cemetery)


1895 – Mrs. Cooley’s horse & buggy is stolen from in front of the Baptist Church in Rich Hill. (It is found the next day 14 miles east of Butler)
1924 – Featuring ‘Bozo, the tramp comedian’, Flappers of 1924 are presented at the Rich Hill Opera House.
1885 – The sudden rise of the Marais Des Cygne river and overflow in the bottoms between Rich Hill and Butler has stopped all wagon traffic and it is feared Butler will experience a coal famine.
1888 – The Flambeau Club, of Butler, has ordered four new drums, from Lyon & Healy at Chicago, at a cost of $60.
1886 – Jerry Hyte, renowned Bates Co petty thief, just out of the rich Hill jail for stealing a magnifying glass,  steals a coal hauling horse, the Sheriff’s saddle, and heads for Virginia, west of Butler.  There he steals money from Mrs. Wilcox, goes to Butler, stealing a watch at the John Duff jewelry store, then hops a train to Rich Hill, where he walks into the arms of Rich Hill Marshal Logan, who has been telegraphed of Hyte’s skull-duggery.
1870 – Buggy exhibition’s, brass bands, and a large crowd line the streets of Butler to see Yankee Robinson’s noted circus.  The procession, after passing up and down the principal streets of Butler, and around the square, comes to a halt in front of the Western House, where the carriages are filled with ladies and the March is resumed around town.
1929 – Plans are made to plant rice on the Henderson farm, east of Rich Hill.  It belongs to D. Kellogg of Battle Creek, Michigan.
1933 – The McNay Radio & Electric shop cause quite a stir by erecting a new Neo-Art sign containing a clock & nine advertisements in front of Smith’s Café in the Inn Hotel (The Pennell)

Subscribe to 921News

Enter your email address to subscribe to 921News and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 214 other subscribers

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on google
Google+
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on pinterest
Pinterest