Let it be known that the Bates County Soil and Water Conservation District will hold an election for
one supervisor in each of two different territories in the county February 1 through February 22,
2022. Anyone that owns a farm in Territory [II] (Grand River, Mingo, Shawnee, Spruce, Summit and
Deepwater Townships) or Territory [IV] (Homer, Charlotte, Mount Pleasant, Walnut, New Home and
Howard Townships), and meets the qualifications listed below, may be considered as a candidate in the
election. You may submit your name for participation in the election by completing the self-nomination
form and delivering it to the district by 5:00 P.M. on November 30th. The self-nomination
form is available online at https://mosoilandwater.land/bates or in person at the district
office (see contact info below).
Supervisors of the district administer district policies and programs, district personnel, and cost-share
funding made available by the one-tenth-of-one-percent parks, soils and water sales tax.
During fiscal year 2021, the district provided $64,470.46 of cost-share funds to 14 landowners to
assist the landowners with installing agricultural erosion control and water quality practices.
The qualifications required to be a supervisor are:
1. Being a land representative from the district (10 CSR 70-4.010 (1) (I)). A land representative is
defined as the owner or representative authorized by power of attorney of any farm lying within an
area proposed to be established, and subsequently established, as a soil and water conservation district
under Chapter 278, RSMo. Each farm is entitled to representation by a land representative: provided,
however that the land representative is a taxpayer of the county within which the soil and water
district is located.
2. Residing in, or owning a farm in, the area from which he/she is nominated where there is an expiring
3. Being a cooperator of the district, defined as, “a person who is actively engaged in farming and
practices conservation activities related to agriculture”.
4. Being a current resident and tax-paying citizen of the county for at least two years preceding the
5. Be eighteen (18) years of age or older by the election date.
County Soil and Water Conservation District
625 West Nursery Street, Box B
Butler, MO 64730
(660) 679-6124 ext. 3