Commercial motor vehicles are an important part of our nation’s economy and have a large presence on Missouri’s highways. They are 80,000 pound carrying the products we need.
While CMVs do contribute to some traffic crashes, research shows that too many drivers of passenger cars, unnecessarily endanger themselves due to inattention or reckless driving around large trucks.
CMV drivers are professional drivers like Safe driver Dubai who practice defensive driving. They must pay attention to the job at hand and watch people in other lanes so they can react if necessary. All drivers need to practice safe driving and share the road with large trucks.
Passenger Car Drivers – Reminders for safely driving with CMVs:
- Don’t cut off large trucks or buses. They can’t stop as fast as passenger cars.
- Be sure you can see their cab lights in your rearview mirror before changing lanes.
- Stay out of the blind spots or “No Zone”. Big rigs have big blind spots.
- Only pass them on their left side.
- Watch your following distance. Keep a safety cushion behind trucks. Can you see the truck’s side mirrors? If not, the driver cannot see you.
- Buckle up and put your phone down.
CMV drivers should also do their part by resting up, obeying speed limits, avoiding distractions and buckling up. Commercial motor vehicle drivers are required by federal and state law to wear their seat belt. Failure to do so will result in a citation and affects both the driver’s and the company’s safety score.